Tuesday, April 23, 2019

And I Fancy Myself a Poet

The call to write
Hits me now and then
And I fancy myself a poet.
A dozen notebooks
Or more
Filled over the years
(Well, partially filled)
With jottings that never see the light of day -
And probably never will -
Because I fancy myself a poet,
But I never assume
Anyone else will.
Is poetry a career or a vocation
In this day and age?
Or just an affectation?
Does anyone really read poetry now,
Apart from posers like me
Who fancy themselves poets?
And is a poet one who writes
Or one who is read - who publishes?
And yet, for many years now,
I've fancied myself a poet.


- "Karuke"

No comments:

Newest post

Permitted and admitted

 With the rise of casual use of Generative AI software over the past year and a bit (has it really only been that long?), we've also see...

Popular posts