Saturday, October 17, 2009

Ugly websites are not to be trusted...

Hmm...

I think I'm starting to turn into some kind of design snob.

I found a very useful article on Krashen's Input Hypothesis using Google, which took me directly to the pdf, so I had to trace the thing backwards to find out what journal it came from.

Having found its "home", I'm suddenly wracked with doubt over the validity of the article because, well, the website is ugly.

It's some sort of US/Chinese linguistic thingy that looks for all the world like it's trying to sell me a dodgy language course.

You know the kind of site I mean? Whoever designs them clearly believes in dazzling people with pointless colours and big balloony fonts, and deep down you just don't know if there's actually any substance there at all...

I'm looking at this site and thinking: "What are you trying to sell me and why should I start backing away?" rather than: "My, this looks like a place where I could find information to aid my scholarly pursuits."

And yet, it's an online journal with issue numbers and everything - supposedly even peer reviewed - and the articles (once you get out of the web page), seem pretty sound...

It's just ugly, and for some reason I instinctively mistrust it.

No comments:

Newest post

Permitted and admitted

 With the rise of casual use of Generative AI software over the past year and a bit (has it really only been that long?), we've also see...

Popular posts