Thursday, September 18, 2014

Some days I feel like a librarian

So, earlier today someone came to the desk and said they wanted to know where their grandfather could browse for books about medicine or books in French.

Without even looking it up, I said "the 610s for medical related books, and 840s for French literature".

She looked at me as if I was made of magic.

Just then I was doing some research for an assignment, and this is the first thing I typed into the search box:

((non-native* OR "non native") w/3 speaker*) AND (english w/3 language) AND (textbook* OR "text books" OR text-book* OR (course w/3 material*))

The first thing.

As in, I didn't even try to go to the guided search options, or start with a couple of words and see what happened - I just went straight for a search string involving several layers of brackets, multiple truncation and phrase searchers and half a dozen proximity searches.

I am a librarian.  This is how I roll.

No comments:

Newest post

Permitted and admitted

 With the rise of casual use of Generative AI software over the past year and a bit (has it really only been that long?), we've also see...

Popular posts