Sunday, February 6, 2011

Devanny Project Diary Entry 7

Cyclone Yasi

So, it turns out that the cyclone I was pathetically whining about in the last post wasn't inconvenient so much as massive and devastating.

I was expecting a bit of damage. Instead, Silkwood has practically been wiped out, Tully isn't doing so well and no one is even mentioning Mourilyan. I don't know if that's a good sign or not.

Obviously, my thoughts are with the people who live in the region, but I'm also thinking about the history.

When a massive catastrophe hits a town, most people are justifiably thinking about saving lives and loved ones, but there was at least one museum in that region at some point. After Cyclone Larry, I was wondering if it would still be there. After Yasi, I'm guessing it probably isn't.

What happens to the local collections in the small community museums when the towns are taken out by flood, fire or storm? You can't think about these things when there's a major disaster looming with the promise of death and destruction, but how many of those small museums have disaster plans for their collections?

No comments:

Newest post

Permitted and admitted

 With the rise of casual use of Generative AI software over the past year and a bit (has it really only been that long?), we've also see...

Popular posts